NOT ANOTHER WAR!
Across the U.S., anti-war activists, low-wage workers and community members are beginning to mobilize to counter the latest U.S. war moves against Russia and express outrage at the campaign of disinformation emanating from Washington and corporate media outlets about recent events in Ukraine.
In response to a call to action from the International Action Center, actions are planned in more than a dozen cities, and we are learning about new events every day (see list below).
Many of these actions will also oppose the dangerous U.S. support and funding for extreme right-wing attacks and economic destabilization against elected governments in Venezuela and Syria. These are violations of international law and crimes against peace.
But more is urgently needed – informational picket lines, leafleting, visits to congressional offices, protests at media centers against war propaganda, vigils and challenges to government officials. Let's make our voices heard!
As the 15th anniversary of the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia and occupation of Kosovo approaches, there is growing anger that the U.S. government is giving $10 billion in loans to an unelected, right-wing regime in Kiev, while hungry children and families here are being told to get by with $8.9 billion in cuts to SNAP food assistance.
The provocative U.S. war moves against the people of Eastern Ukraine, Crimea and Russia include sanctions, sending warships with guided missiles to the Black Sea, and war games with F15 fighters on Russia's border. This, too, will cost billions of dollars that should be spent to bail out the city of Detroit, create jobs and fund schools.
Corporate media outlets such as CNN, Fox News and the New York Times have colluded with leaders in Washington to whip up a new Cold War sentiment against Russia, while covering up the U.S. role in the recent violent events in Ukraine.
Unmentioned by corporate media are the enormous U.S. financial and military interests at stake – from control of Ukraine's oil and gas pipelines connecting Russia with Western Europe, to the prospect of NATO military bases on Russia's western border.
The U.S. hand is clear in the opposition protests that unseated the elected government of Ukraine. Washington has trained, funded and given political support to an undemocratic movement rooted in the wealthy oligarchy, just as it is doing today in Venezuela. State Department officials were caught on tape plotting the February coup and bragging that the U.S. had already spent $5 billion to make it happen
Also censored from mainstream media coverage is the real character of the junta in Kiev, which is dominated by outright neo-Nazi movements such as the Svoboda party and Right Sector. Today these fascists are carrying out violent repression against leftists and other opponents of the coup. Their continued rule not only endangers Jewish, immigrant, LGBTQ and minority-language communities throughout Ukraine, but threatens to plunge the world into war.
WE NEED YOU! Join one of the protests below. If there's no activity yet in your area, call one and send the details to email@example.com. It can be as simple as distributing informational leaflets in your neighborhood or having a soapbox speak-out with a few friends on a busy street corner.
Join us! Educate, organize and protest. Let's stop the next U.S. war before it starts.
List of actions (as of 3/12/14)
* NEW YORK CITY: Fri, March 14, 5 pm rally at CNN, 10 Columbus Circle (Broadway & 59th St) 6 pm March down Broadway to FOX News, 49th St. & 6th Ave. [facebook.com/events/226160010906938]
* ATLANTA: No new U.S. war! Stop media lies about Ukraine - march on CNN Center. Details to come
* BALTIMORE: Sat ►March 15, 12 noon at McKeldin Square (Pratt and Light streets), downtown Baltimore. For more info call [443-221-3775] [facebook.com/events/286862011469555/]
* BUFFALO, NY: Sat, March 15, 1:00 pm at Elmwood & Bidwell [facebook.com/events/1469256476623488/]
* DURHAM, NC: Fri, March 14, 5-6 pm at Brightleaf Square (corner of Gregson & Main Sts).
* HOUSTON, TEXAS: Thurs, March 13, 4-6 pm at Mickey Leland Federal Bldg (Smith Street at St. Joseph Parkway due to construction – 1919 Smith St.). Endorse / more info: [713-503-2633] [facebook.com/events/302477889900411/]. For daily updates: [facebook.com/events/765632556788433]
* LOS ANGELES: Fri, March 14, 5:30 pm at corner of Echo Park Ave & Sunset Blvd [facebook.com/events/1479540222265472]
* MINNEAPOLIS, MINN.: Sat, March 15, 12 noon at Mayday Plaza (3rd Street & Cedar Ave), West Bank, Minneapolis. More info, contact [612 522-1861] or [612 827-5364]
* OAKLAND, CALIF.: Mon, March 17, 4:30 pm at Oscar Grant Plaza (14th & Broadway) [facebook.com/events/607827069300677]
* PHILADELPHIA: Tues, March 11, 4:30 pm at 15th & Market
* TUCSON, ARIZONA: Fri, March 14, 5:30 pm at the Federal Building downtown, then march to John McCain's office
* SAN DIEGO, CALIF.: Mon, March 17, 5-6:30 pm rally, at NBC Building
* BOSTON: Details to come soon!
* ROCKFORD, IL: Details to come soon!
PLUS: Protest on Mon, March 24, 5 pm at United Nations (43 St & 1st Ave, NYC)
15th Anniversary of the U.S./NATO 78 day bombing of Yugoslavia! Demand ‘Not Another War! U.S. out of Ukraine & Balkans'!
* Stay informed! Find more information on Ukraine and upcoming actions at [iacenter.org/]
* Variety of downloadable signs helpful for demonstrations: [iactucson.org/signs]
* UKRAINE: What the media isn't telling you [iacenter.org/ukraine/ukraine-1-031114/]
* United National Antiwar Coalition (UNAC) demands ‘U.S. hands off Ukraine and Venezuela’ [unacpeace.org/]
* Veterans for Peace - San Diego: ‘Preparing for war with Russia’ [sdvfp.org/preparing-for-war-with-russia/]
* Sara Flounders: ‘Why are Nazi & Confederate flags on display in Kiev?’ [iacenter.org/struggle/ukraine2--030514/]
* Glen Ford: ‘Hillary and other assorted barbarians at Russia’s gate’ [blackagendareport.com/content/hillary-and-other-assorted-barbarians-russia's-gate]
* Fred Goldstein: ‘U.S. whips up crisis over Crimea’ [workers.org/articles/2014/03/12/u-s-whips-crisis-crimea/]
* Ajamu Baraka: ‘Ukraine and the Pathology of the Liberal Worldview: An African American Perspective’ [counterpunch.org/2014/03/07/ukraine-and-the-pathology-of-the-liberal-worldview/]
* Transcript of leaked Victoria Nuland-Geoffrey Pyatt call [bbc.com/news/world-europe-26079957]
* Leak: Estonian FM says Maidan snipers were not Yanukovich's [dailykos.com/story/2014/03/05/1282285/--BREAKING-Leak-Estonian-PM-says-Maidan-snipers-were-not-Yanukovich-s]